You are here
Traditional Schools are a choice program operating within the public school system.Students attend from throughout the school district and from outside of the district. The prescribed curriculum and regulations of the British Columbia Ministry of Education are followed, with an emphasis on a consistent, structured approach to education.
Clearly defined standards for achievement, values, and conduct charaterize the approach of traditional schooling. Traditional schools are defined by ten tenets that express the emphasis of the traditional educational system.
Ten Tenets of Traditional Schooling
1. Consistent structured approach that optimizes class time
- Clearly defined classroom expectations and student accountability lead to a structured environment which helps students of diverse needs and learning styles to thrive.
2. A strong focus on academic achievement
- The creation and recognition of high standards and work habits in an environment of integrity.
3.Teacher designed instruction
- The creation of clearly defined activities and expectations will enable students to achieve mastery of learning outcomes.
4. Regular skills assessment
- Effective ongoing assessment practices that correspond with learning outcomes which accurately reflect classroom instruction and student learning.
5. An emphasis on literacy skills as the foundation of academic excellence and success
- Solid literacy skills are demonstrated by the students’ ability to decode, read for comprehension, research, analyze, synthesize and communicate in written and oral forms across the curriculum.
6. An established homework policy
- Teachers assign and assess homework to reinforce learning, provide regular skills practice, and build effective time management skills, thereby requiring students to take responsibility for their own learning.
7. A clearly defined code of behavior
- Staff, parents and students demonstrate a strong commitment to citizenship and integrity as outlined in our civility, student and athletic codes of conduct.
8. A dress code
- A dress code exists that reflects a professional and uniform approach to the importance of learning in our school.
9. A safe environment
- Embraces a commitment by staff, parents and students to provide an environment that recognizes everyone’s right to a safe and respectful school community.
10. Parents as Partners
- Parents working in partnership with teachers and administration to enhance learning opportunities, cultivate community and address challenges.